I recently wrote this report on travel metasearch for Phocuswright.
After posting a banner year in 2014, metasearch continues to sizzle. While TripAdvisor, Google, Kayak, Trivago and Skyscanner are generally recognized as the leaders in the space, smaller players as well as non-travel behemoths such as Amazon and Alibaba are getting into the game. This Analysis examines the key factors that are shaping the metasearch segment, including the complex dynamics between suppliers and intermediaries, and the implications for the future of travel search.
- Introduction – The Rise of Metasearch
- Mobile Apps and Small Screens
- From Popup Windows to the Assisted Booking Model
- Shifting Dynamics Between OTAs and Suppliers
- Transparency and Conversion
- Developments in Hotel Rate Parity
- OTAs Continue Their Reign
- Google, TripAdvisor and the Largest Metas
- Impact of the Sharing Economy
- The Future of Metasearch
- Trends in Travel Distribution
- Other Disruptive Forces
(a Phocuswright “Innovation” subscription is required)