For examples of expertise in action, please see my Work page.
Expertise in travel booking engines, travel metasearch engines, travel distribution and other travel technology.
A sample of experience and knowledge:
- Technology frameworks for booking and metasearch engines.
- Built a hotel metasearch engine from scratch using only API’s and some basic content.
- Managed the implementation of 3rd-party booking engines.
- Connectivity to GDS and supplier inventory sources such as air, accommodations, car, cruise and tours via API’s.
- Creating bookable, value-add travel products.
- Optimizing metasearch and popup advertising implementations.
- Managing supplier extranets.
- Data integrity and de-duping.
- Plotting POI’s on maps.
- Call center support.
General Web Technology
Managing technical projects for 14 years. Constantly up-to-date on the latest web and mobile design principles.
Hands-On Expertise (Working in these technologies in-depth and directly):
- Gathering requirements across management, design and technology teams
- Writing technical and functional specifications
- WordPress and other content management systems
- Conversion-focused usability/wireframing
- E-Commerce Shopping Carts (travel-specific and non-travel)
- much more
Management Expertise (Managed teams of programmers developing technical solutions using the following):
- Mobile apps (native, HTML5, cross-platform)
- Responsive design
- PHP (LAMP)
- Ruby on Rails
- Git/version control
- Cloud hosting
- Content Delivery Networks
- much more
Wide base of online marketing skills, primarily within the travel vertical.
Samples of experience in marketing and advertising:
Running PPC campaigns up to 1,000,000 keywords and $50k/month spend
- Use of spreadsheet formulas, AdWords Editor and the AdWords API to concatenate tightly-themed, long-tail keywords and ad copy.
- Use of Facebook Power Editor to build large, highly-targeted campaigns.
- Twitter campaigns targeting tweets as well as followers.
- 2nd-tier networks including Bing, 7Search, Advertising.com etc.
- Ongoing testing and optimization.
Create SEO strategies for startups as well as corporations
- Conduct in-depth SEO audits.
- Built wireframes for websites that included recommendations on how to code for both SEO-friendliness and usability.
- Research keyword opportunities and competition.
- Devise creative link-building strategies.
Buying and selling display inventory
- Create and teste banner ads on major and niche networks.
- Seek out and negotiate direct advertising deals, native advertising.
- Retargeting campaigns.
- Trained in ad-serving using DFP (DART for publishers).
- Create social media strategy aligned with content production.
- HootSuite team functionality to coordinate social media efforts across team members.
- Scheduling tweets in advance, participating in chats
- Experienced with MailChimp, Aweber, Constant Contact, more.
- Email design, spam control.
- Sending campaigns to millions of subscribers.
Connecting People and Opportunities
Developed business for startups and corporations on both the buying and selling side.
- Needs analysis
- Marketplace assessment
- Developing RFP’s
- Selecting the right partners
- Optimizing solutions, growing relationships
- Prospecting for leads via web research, LinkedIn and 3rd party databases
- Leveraging personal network for warm introductions
- Preparing proposals with insightful analysis to solve core problems
- Utilizing networking events and conferences for in-person interaction
- Presentations to C-level executives
- Asking for the sale
- Use of CRM tools such as SalesForce and Sugar
- Ongoing account management
Through the various travel projects I am involved in, I have developed a wide network in travel and technology and can often find a warm introduction.
Travel Content Development, Management, and Monetization
Worked with teams of writers to develop content for SEO-specific and general marketing purposes, including all aspects of topic selection, editing and approving final copy.
Worked extensively with WordPress and many other Content Management Systems. Developed custom content management systems to suit specific business needs.
Worked with most of the major CPM, CPA, and CPC travel advertising networks as well as many niche networks. Specifically well-versed in monetizing travel content and businesses.
General Content Skills
- WordPress expert
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Indoor and outdoor photography
10 years of project management experience, managing up to 15 developers and coordinating across multiple internal teams.
A sample of methods and tools:
- PM systems such as Pivotal Tracker, BaseCamp, Zoho, MS Project and many more.
- Accurately defining scope and deliverables, identifying ideal technologies and path to delivery.
- Working closely with teams of developers across many different technologies.
- Wireframing software such as Axure, HotGloo and even Google Drawings.
- Familiar with Agile frameworks.
- Heavy user of cross-browser testing tools.
- Expert at tracking bugs and small details to complete projects with precision.
- Working efficiently within budget.
Analysis of Data and Trends
Experienced in technical web analytics implementation as well as providing thoughtful analysis of data.
Held multiple analyst roles. Certified in Google Analytics and trained in Adobe SiteCatalyst.
Beyond the technical side of web analytics, developed a valuable ability to tie together disparate sources of data to create actionable insights, primarily using advanced Excel analysis techniques.
Sample of expertise:
- Custom reporting by dimension
- Event and conversion tracking
- Campaign tracking
- E-Commerce setup
- Multi-channel attribution
- SiteCatalyst eVars, sProps, custom reporting
Event Planning and Production
For most of the travel projects I am involved in, I am fully responsible for or assist with the production of live events. This includes all aspects of:
- Content production
- Securing a venue
- Coordination of speakers, panelists, presenters
- Ticketing and money collection
- Set up and break down of the venue
- Bringing in sponsors